Saturday, June 21, 2008

Off-Centered Nose


Location: Fuddruckers
Occasion: My family was in Provo, getting my brother settled into his Dorm.
Object of Torture: One of those annoying machines with the moveable claw with which one is supposed to retrieve some sort of toy. It is really just a machine meant to seduce little children out of their money. It’s aim was successful this evening. When my sister saw it, she just HAD to give it a go.

After a few futile attempts, she returned to her seat. My family was in town this past weekend to get my brother settled in. While we were eating, however, we saw two kids easily pull a stuffed toy out of the machine. Our jaws dropped to the floor, and we took it as a definite unspoken challenge. My sister and I each made an attempt at the machine, but came up with nothing. My brother, however, did manage to pick up a stuffed dog. Unfortunately, it got stuck on the claw. We put more money in the machine and attempted to get the claw to release the toy, but the claw maintained its tenacious grip around the poor stuffed dog’s buttocks. Unwilling to give up their prize, my brother and sister went to the register to appeal to the manager. The young lady at the register came back, put a few tokens in the machine, and wiggled the joystick. The toy dropped into the retrieval area. We were a bit embarrassed at the ease with which she was able to solve our problem, but we left the restaurant satisfied. (Except in the case of my little sister; she was rather giddy over this triumph)

I do not know what purpose this green dog, even with its slightly endearing off-center nose, will ever serve. It is likely to end up on a shelf, staring out over my sister’s room for the rest of its life in the Allen household. Why were we all so intent on getting that toy? I really have no idea. What can I say- the Allens are go-getters.




______
I'll soon be gone now
Forever not yours
It won't be long now
Forever not yours
-A-ha

1 comment:

Amber said...

So dad and Shelly told me the story last night when they came home -- and I am STILL laughing.

I think we all have such low-expectations for those machines... I was amazed! I can't believe you guys actually got something out of them!!!!

*ps - this dog currently is sitting in my room... whaa ha haha!