Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Initiatory Post

A few people have suggested that I start a blog. I mostly brushed the idea off, thinking nobody would care to read the simple musings of a young lady's mind. After losing all of my writings when my computer crashed, the idea became all the more appealing. I do not know whether the creation of this blog is a result of my mind being just a bit skewed right now due to the flu I currently battle. Perhaps having the flu enables me to think more clearly, with less fear. Either way, here I find myself creating this blog, mostly for my own enjoyment. Naturally, I hope that any poor soul bored enough to read from this blog will be at least a bit entertained as well.

So as a simple disclaimer, I will conclude this entry with a very fitting passage from Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels:

"I hope, the gentle reader will excuse me for dwelling on these and the like particulars; which however insignificant they may appear to groveling vulgar minds, yet will certainly help a philosopher to enlarge his thoughts and imagination, and apply them to the benefit of publick as well as private life; which was my sole design in presenting this and other accounts of my travels to the world; wherein I have been chiefly studious of truth, without affecting any ornaments of learning, or of style. But the whole scene of this voyage made so strong an impression on my mind, and is so deeply fixed in my memory, that in committing it to paper, I did not omit one material circumstance: however, upon a strict review, I blotted out several passages of less moment which were in my first copy, for fear of being censured as tedious and trifling, whereof travelers are often, perhaps not without justice, accused."

1 comment:

Amber said...

JOY!!!! I am soo excited! :) and I'm glad I matter!