Sunday, March 29, 2009

Power, love, and a Sound Mind

A disclaimer:
I had previously resolved to keep my blog at least mostly secular, but now I believe such a resolution to be entirely nonsensical. Religion is an inextricable part of my life, and if I am to record second helpings of my life, religion must be a part of that. If you do not wish to read anything religious, you are obviously excused from reading anything of that nature posted on my blog.

"...nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." -2 Timothy 1:12

Now on to the real post!
_____________

Today, I was reading my scriptures and I came upon the following verse:

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

A few days ago, I was engaged in a debate with a friend over whether or not fear of rejection should hinder one from being bold, straightforward, and risky in dating. I firmly believe that it should not. If it does, it is only because we are allowing past negative experience to make us feel as though we are less than we truly are. When a relationship fails, it is (unless one has sorely mistreated the other) certainly not a reflection on the value of either person involved. We may be disappointed, discouraged, and disinterested for a while, but we certainly should not allow these three dreaded "d's" to paint our perception of who we are. The two former partners just did not work out. Period. I firmly believe there is at least one person out there who will accept and love every individual just as that individual is. At least one of those partners just was not one of them. I believe it is natural to be at least a bit apprehensive when being faced with any new experience, including a potential relationship. It is one's own decision to allow any level of fear to prohibit a relationship from even forming. Fear does not more than inhibit and destroy even the potential for a functional relationship. So.... just say no! Believe in yourself! Anyone else with me?!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Hear hear!

I would have to agree --- in theory. now if only I could make it real in life. :)

Shauna Malia said...

2 Tim. 1:7 is the scripture my mom always quotes to me whenever I'm worried or fearful about things. And it's so true. We have nothing to be afraid of as long as we're doing as the Lord would have us do--He doesn't want us to be scared or upset, he wants us to move forward with our lives and constantly progress.

I appreciate your thoughts on how this relates to dating as well. I had originally planned on keeping my blog secular too, but you're right. Religion is a HUGE part of our lives, how can we ignore it?

Packrat said...

If you are saying, "Be yourself." I agree with you. But, even if I didn't agree it is still a Good Post.

I just saw where you asked who I am. (Please excuse the grammarical errors.) My name is Sue. How do you do? (Yes, my name is Sue. Sorry those are lyrics from an old Johnny Cash song. Couldn't resist.:D ) I am a daughter, wife, mom, grandma, pet care giver. I tend to be a worry wart. (That's why I found that you asked about who I am. I was worrying about whether or not you had found your phone.) I'm constantly misplacing things and spend tons of time looking and panicking. I am opinionated as all get out. Amber (Smile Forever) and I both read and comment on Janssen's Everyday Reading blog. Amber has commented on some things I've written; I've commented a couple of times on Amber's posts. You are welcome to visit my blog.