http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEPFDIzhNA&feature=PlayList&p=C778AD3D4BFFA573&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18
Above is a link for the music video for "Chinese Translation" by M. Ward. The video is great, but the song itself is even better. I was listening to this song today, and really came into a deeper appreciation for it. Below are the lyrics:
____
I sailed a wild, wild sea
climbed up a tall, tall mountain
I met a old, old man
beneath a weeping willow tree
He said now if you got some questions
go and lay them at my feet
but my time here is brief
so you'll have to pick just three
And I said
What do you do with the pieces of a broken heart
and how can a man like me remain in the light
and if life is really as short as they say
then why is the night so long
and then the sun went down
and he sang for me this song
See I once was a young fool like you
afraid to do the things
that I knew I had to do
So I played an escapade just like you
I played an escapade just like you
I sailed a wild, wild sea
climbed up a tall, tall mountain
I met an old, old man
he sat beneath a sapling tree
He said now if you got some questions
go and lay them at my feet
but my time here is brief
so you'll have to pick just three
And I said
What do you do with the pieces of a broken heart
and how can a man like me remain in the light
and if life is really as short as they say
then why is the night so long
and then the sun went down
and he played for me this song
___
Firstly, I do believe that these are, in fact, three of the most prime questions of humanity:
1. What do we do when things go wrong?
2. How do we keep ourselves on the right track?
3. If we are supposed to enjoy the journey,then why must it be treacherous and seemingly never-ending?
I can particularly relate to the literal language of M. Ward's final question. Why in the world is he night so dang long, particularly when I am so tired that I cannot sleep? (small digression of an insomniac)
I have my own theories as to how we can answer these questions, but I will leave it up to you to find your own ways.
Secondly, I believe that life is cyclical in this way. I believe we are all, whether it is in any way apparent or not, feeling around for the answers to all of the same questions.
I do not dare assert my own opinions. I think the lyrics speak for themselves, and I merely wish to invite you to muse along with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment