Sunday, April 18, 2010

What are you doing now?

Yesterday, I was driving in my car (post yet to come detailing this), which has quickly become one of my favorite new places to me to think (AND pay attention to the road, of course). This trip in particular, I was wondering why in the world it is so hard to just be the person I want to become already! After quite some time of lamenting over this, I realized how preposterous that statement really is- to be the person one wants to become. One simply cannot be and become at the same time. Those words are referring to two completely different time periods: 'be' is present while 'become' refers to the future. I had a laugh over the absurdity of such a thing- as far as anyone will admit, one cannot be in more than one time period at the same time any more than one can be in more than one place at the same time. One will never be that which one is striving to become. What matters is that one is trying, and that one comes closer every day. Maybe you will share a laugh with me and stop being so hard on yourself too.
___________
It's, not, where you are, It's where you're going,
Where are you going?
And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now,
What are you doing, now?

Everybody gets knocked down,
Everybody gets knocked down,
How quick are you gonna' get up?
How quick are you gonna' get up, now?

Like Ali in the jungle,
Like Nelson in jail,
Like Simpson on the mountain,
Well with odds like that, they were bound to fail
Like Keller in the darkness,
Like Adam's in the dark,
Like Ludwig Van, how I loved that man, well the guy went deaf and didn't give a ----, no.
-"Ali in the Jungle" by The Hours

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

How long have you had your license? I'm proud of you!