Over the weekend, I hurt my wrist. It really is not a big deal, apart from the whole interrupting my life thing. I should be on my way to dance class right now. I can neither do any extreme dance moves, nor write by hand, however, without causing myself quite a bit of discomfort. I have opted to stay home, as it will no doubt be more productive. Obviously, I am typing currently, which means discomfort for me. While I am still in pain, I am decidedly appeasing my mind. All that will follow is, I am quite sure, pure, unbridled dross. If I were you, I would not even read it. But if you are truly bored, reading the following may be better than whatever it is you are doing (or, shall I say, not doing). I will therefore stand aside.
Sometimes I find the world infinitely more interesting from the other way round. This morning, I was blow-drying my hair upside down. “Excuse me, Kim… I just need to get my watch!” my roommate warned as she nearly ran me over on her way past the sink. Luckily, I shuffled to the side, my head between my knees, just in time for her to miss me. In that moment, I noticed her shoes: red, black, and white patterned flats, provided my memory serves me well. I am fairly certain I had seen them before, but they exuded a slight air of Asia from that angle. They were a completely new shoe. I loved them.
I love doing hand/elbow/headstands when I am alone in a room. Inversion makes my body feels entirely different, as though it has been reset. If I take a quick peek around, I always notice something different about the room, whether it is a dead roach by the door or how much that painting looks a bit like a dancing cow.
I also love looking at people’s faces from upside down. Unintentional, organic facial expressions are more obvious that way. Sometimes they are also more readable. It can also be quite humorous. Some people look…. pretty funny. I’m sure that I do.
Even the most simplistic thing can take on a whole new appearance when the world has been turned upside down. If I may be so bold as to assert, changing one’s vantage point is the most valuable technique in truth-seeking.
You need not buy into any of this. As I said before, I am simply using this free time to spout off for personal appeasement. I might be entirely off.
Nevertheless, think of it, if you will. You think you know your girlfriend? Take her out of town, someplace new for one week. When the two of you return, tell me whether you still see her exactly the same way you did pre-trip. Tell me you did not learn anything new about the way she experiences (or does not experience) life. You think you know yourself? Move someplace new for a summer and then try returning entirely to your current lifestyle.
Sometimes, however, the world turns itself over without my consent. Sometimes other people take unwelcome personal liberties and flip me over. I must admit to harboring a strong resentment to the occurrence of the latter. It is somewhat frightening when I am not ready for it, and I am ashamed to say that I typically fight back…
Often times, nevertheless, I cannot see truth clearly at all, and nothing would benefit me more. My questions to you are these: How does one get upside down when it is advantageous, and remain right side up when it is not? What is one to do when one has accessed all visible angles, and the truth remains completely obscure?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment